Liberty Customer Service
Boil Advisories - Residential - Central - Liberty
What is a Precautionary Boil Advisory?
A precautionary boil advisory is a public notification issued to customers to advise them to boil water before consumption.
Why Does Liberty Issue Boil Advisories?
Occasionally, we issue boil advisories to ensure the safety and health of our water customers. A precautionary boil advisory is issued when a pressure drop to our water system occurs. A pressure drop can be caused by a variety of things including a broken main or planned maintenance to the system. When a pressure drop occurs, there is potential that water infrastructure conditions could allow contaminants or bacteria to enter the water distribution system.
What's the Difference Between a Boil Advisory and a Boil Order?
Boil advisories are issued as a precaution, allowing time for water samples to be collected by a Liberty employee and sent for lab testing. When water has been deemed free of contaminants, the boil advisory will be lifted.
Mandatory boil orders are issued when there is a confirmed case of contamination to the water supply. When a boil order occurs, customers are told to boil water for their safety until water has been confirmed free from the contamination.
What Should I Do if a Boil Advisory or Boil Order Has Been Issued in My Area?
During a boil advisory, it is recommended that customers:
- Boil water vigorously for three minutes prior to use for cooking or drinking.
- Disinfect food contact surfaces (dishes) by immersing them for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
- Dispose of ice cubes and remake with water that has been boiled.
- Water used for bathing does not need to be boiled.
- Let water cool sufficiently before drinking.
- If you have questions or concerns, please call 1-800-206-2300.
- If you have an emergency, please call 1-800-206-2300.
Boil Advisory Postings
When they occur, boil advisories are posted here.
Liberty may also contact you directly by phone or place a door hanger at your residence. This door hanger will be removed once the boil advisory has been lifted.
Liberty Boil Advisory Door Hanger
You Can Help Us Keep Water Safe